Thread: Non Chinese Flare nut wrenches...Where?

Default Non Chinese Flare nut wrenches...Where?

I need a new set of SAE and Metric flare nut wrenches to replace the sets stolen a few years back. I like Craftsman because the quality/price ratio for USA forged tool workes for me as a hobby mechanic. Unfortunately USA forged raised panel Craftsman tools are being phased out and are now replaced with a lesser quality Chinese made full polish professional line. SnapOn , Mac, Proto, Armstrong are out of my budget. I bought one of the last remaining Craftsman USA raised panel 9 piece Metric/SAE sets from Sears webstore last weekend. These are not available in store anymore. Price was a steal at $44 delivered. However the 15x17 was duplicated and the 19x21 was missing in the package I received today. Also, there are not 16x18, and 1/4 x 5/16 USA forged raised panel Craftsman individual wenches available to complete the set. Also a bummer is the lifetime warranty will be honored but you get the lesser quality Chinese full polish with thinner heads and lesser steel as replacements. GearWrench appears Chinese made, Kobalt does not make, Tekton is HFish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Let's please, not start any discussion of why I love the original Axis of Evil Japanese, German and Italian cars but do not want anymore Chinese made tools in my tool box or, I should be more compassionate and tolerant and just get along with and accept immigrant tools cultures and should search out and get to know a Islami made tool because it's really a gentle, peaceful tool that really doesn't want to kill me blah blah blah. Well, German tool suggestions would be fine but no Italian, British or French please. I've owned a MG, Fiat, Renault, Mazda and now a BMW. The MGB I turned right and it went left...into someones house. The Fiat Spyder looked fantastic but was a lover of the lady at the parts counter but not much of a fighter. The Renault LeCar surrendered within 2 weeks of my occupation of it. The Mazdas were like zero's that could out turn, and climb anything but would get beat on a long straight dive and only took a little hit from a small raccoon to destroy. What the hell was I ....where's my damn pants....oh look it's cheese...hey you damn kids get out of my yard!
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Go join this forum - http://www.garagejournal.com/

Great tool information on that forum.

I'm currently sitting in my garage reorganizing my screwdriver drawer with my new German made Wiha screwdrivers.

Nice link. Thanks!
    +1 on Wiha drivers. Bestest ever.

Nothing to add on the flare nut thingy. Closest I can think of is MrBRG, but he's a flair nut

Great link. Thanks. Found a great thread of what not and what to buy at HF there. Sadly it looks like the USA is out of the quality made tool business for the little man. Ebay and pawn shops for used SnapOn and such are the only places I am starting to think I can get a quality tool within my hobby budget. I also learned as I suspected that GearWrench is the original Chinese manufacturer of the Craftsman Professional line. Same tool just differant stamp. In the future if you want a Craftsman wrench set go to HF and buy the less expensive Pittsburg and expect the same quality of steel for a lot less. Same lifetime warranty so when the tool fails and messes up your part you can take it back and they will give you a brand new one just like that one that you can use to mess up your next part with.

BTW very nice driver set you got there...I've had my eyes on the Stainless LaserTip Wera sets in the back of the Griots catalog but I need the flare nut wrenches first for a 4 wheel disc brake upgrade.

Looks like Sears has a remaining USA forged steel set of the same wrenches I bought. I'm going to order a second set and hope it ships properly complete and then return the first set to the store for a refund. I'll then have to fill in the missing 2 wrenches with individual used SnapOn, Matco or Protos from Ebay. Bummer that it will be a mismatched set and the 2 wrenches will cost as much or more than the original 9 piece set cost me but will at least be a good quality set that shouldn't ruin the fittings on my new stainless lines. Probably sizes I really don't need but it buggs me knowing the set is incomplete and who knows I may end up with another foreign car in the future that I will need that size to adjust the child proof electric hydraulic power assisted cupholder lid lifters located in the rear climate controlled glovebox.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Got those bad boy (a 12 piece set) for $40.00 including shipping off Amazon we used Amazon Points since my wife is a Kindle freak and saved $10.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-30297-12-...7480649&sr=8-2

There are a few US guys still around but ya really gotta search anymore.

Garage Journal is dangerous I have been on an cleaning, organizing, and buying frenzy since stupid Titus told me about that Forum

FU Titus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Go join this forum - http://www.garagejournal.com/
    *Clicks on link*

Shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Piff View Post
    *Clicks on link*

Shit...
    Sorry......

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Me too.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Yeah, garagejournal.com is a killer. I tried to avoid it while planning my garage redo, but decided to check it out for a few ideas for specific things. My "$2000" remodel turned into about $10k, which promptly turned into stopping the scale model I built for the layout because there's no way in hell I'm putting $10k into this house's garage.