Thread: New Canine addition to the Kuonen Clan

Default New Canine addition to the Kuonen Clan

Picked up Sasha Thursday morning through Legacy Boxer Rescue. She is still settling in, but seems like everyone, most dogs, and even cats. Little clingy, but at only 2.5 years old we are her third home.

Might bring her out one Wed. nigh to Keller's to meet the Mollies, lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Congratulations. We just adopted a new pair of dogs ourselves. One is basically a mix we got from an animal shelter. He had about 3 more days to live basically. And the second is a Jack Russell we got from a foster organization. They've both already moved in and taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP1964 View Post
    Congratulations. We just adopted a new pair of dogs ourselves. One is basically a mix we got from an animal shelter. He had about 3 more days to live basically. And the second is a Jack Russell we got from a foster organization. They've both already moved in and taken over.
    Jack Russell's WILL take over! haha
    I have one myself...
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

she has taken over, lol. she has me up at o' dark thirty to have me walk her for an hour. she is still goinng haywire in the crate, hopefully it can contan her and i don't have to buy the heavy duty re-inforced one the foster family was using.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When we first got our rescue dog he tore up the kennel too. What he was doing was biting the lower bar where the door is and bending it up. So I used some bar stock and zip ties to reinforce it, then I used some bite proof bug netting that is used for outdoor kennels to keep him from biting the zip ties. It worked quite well, and now he loves his kennel. Last night I fell asleep on the couch and when I got up to move to the bedroom he was already sleeping in his kennel.

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    she has taken over, lol. she has me up at o' dark thirty to have me walk her for an hour. she is still goinng haywire in the crate, hopefully it can contan her and i don't have to buy the heavy duty re-inforced one the foster family was using.
    We had a rescue Boxer once. He was great for the first 2 months while my wife wasn't working. We had the top of the line HD crate, and he did fine when we would leave him in it for 2-3 hours periods. Once the wife went back to work, things got interesting. Day one, he broke a few bars in the crate... Enought to get his snout out far enough to get a hold of the carpet and tear up about 3sqft of it. I fixed the crate that night. On day 2, he ate his way out of the crate completely, shate all over the house (even though there was a doggie door that he had no problem using when we were home), and tore down some drapes. On Day 3, I took the day off work and returned him to the rescue.

Molly wasn't a rescue, per se, but she did have her separation anxiety moments that first year...

There was the time she hid under the bed all day while I went to work.

There was the time she ate the sofa.

There was the time she ate the papasan chair.

There was the time she nearly chewed a leg off a dining room chair.

There was the time she ate the living room carpet.

There was the time she pulled the nasty astro-turf up off the patio, through the doggie door, and into the living room.

There was the time she ate the TV remote/cell phone/cordless phones... and we never found the batteries.

There was the phase she went through where she would clear the coffee table and lay down on it for naps.

Anyhow... 10 years later she's fairly well sorted. Mostly.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 10-29-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

jeez... rick, you are more patient than i. If Sasha starts that i don't know what I'd do. She did ok yesterday in the crate-- there were no workman outside which did help.

(Our foundations were repaired a few weeks ago, but doing so caused damage to the balcony and rear stairs. They jack-hammered off most of the balcony, drilled in re-bar, poured a new slab, and have installed new railings and re secured the stairs to the building... perhaps the noise of all that happening on the other side of the room contributed to her behavior.....)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    jeez... rick, you are more patient than I.
    Don't get me wrong... there were a few Come to Jesus meetings between me and Molly and the roommate. I'm sure she thought her name was "F**K!" for 6 months out of that first year.

After she ate the sofa (a "vintage" freebie hide-a-bed) we hauled her down to Man's Best Friend, but we declined their services. You'd be surprised how effing expensive they are - and they make no guarantees.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

A month after we were married we went and picked out a dog down near Cleburne. Half Jack Russell half Rat Terrier and full of vim and vigor. Named him Orson. He was just one of those dogs that's hard to describe. Just special I guess is the best way. We litteraly went through hell with him as a pup. Tore a hole in the head rest on my wife's Jeep. Numerous shoes, socks, articles of clothing. We collect Oxacan art pieces and Day of the dead stuff. Luckily he only got some smallthings from that. Tore carpet up in spots. So I agreed with him that we'd tear the rest out and refinish the hardwood floors. The topper was when he decided he didn't like the upholstery on the vintage 1950s 9 foot long couch. Yep, 16 lb dog managed to rip every shred of fabric off that thing. But, we stuck it out with him and he turned out pretty good. After 14 years His heart just gave out on him and we had ro put him to sleep in September. Hardest thing I have ever done but I just couldn't bear to see him suffer.