Thread: Dammit, another motor problem!

Default Dammit, another motor problem!

I have the worst luck ever with this car! First the short nose crank failure, then waterlocked the long nose motor, now my 1.8 swap is knocking and the #3 plug was covered in oil! I haven't even tracked the car since the 1.8 swap...guess I got a bad motor.

First I need to find out exactly what is wrong, then how am I going to fix this?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

time to buy some parts and rebuild that beast! or unless you wanna sell it...................
    -AJ Ngo

Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

the heck? It appears that the cam gear is scraping the plastic timing belt cover! I replaced the valve cover gasket so the oil leak is no more, but still not sure what to do about the cam gear hitting the cover. I double checked the gears and they are not loose. I was missing a bolt for the cover, so replaced that and put it back on making sure it was not misaligned. It seems to be scraping even more now!

Is it possible to use the 1.6 timing cover on a 1.8 and maybe I got them mixed up somehow? Only explanation I can come up with! I swear, some of the wierdest things happen to me.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Default cover

lose the cover, you don't need it...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

If the gears are all in the same plane and this one isn't sitting forward a little then lose the cover...

If it's not, and it's sticking forward (which is easy to tell, do you see more gear sticking out from under the belt on that side?) you need to figure out why it's sticking out and fix it...

Sometimes the covers get warped and contact the gears. You may be able to fix it with a carefully applied heat gun.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Ah, Dr. Dawg's diagnostic was correct. Good ears for an old man. No charge this time.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Engine Builder
    Euless or Burleson or Euless or Burleson or Euless or Burles...

what was it?

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    Ah, Dr. Dawg's diagnostic was correct. Good ears for an old man. No charge this time.

Gary
    What Master357 said, What was it is?????
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1

Gary
    Yeah, thanks again for helping.

*For those of you that failed to read my last post, it was the timing gear scraping the inside of the plastic timing belt cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    How did you resolve it?
    And what caused it? It sounded like the gear scraping was a symptom of another problem.

Well crap, I decided to remove the upper timing belt dust cover...the one that the gear was scraping...and it still makes the intermittent scraping/knocking sound. I already checked the timing gears to make sure they were not loose or anything. Man this drives me nuts since I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Have to take it to the shop in the morning anyways...realized the rear wheel bearings are a bitch to replace and need tools I don't have! Guess I'll have them check the motor and see if they come up with something...hopefully nothing catastrophic.

Check that the pin isn't messed up on the cam... Had that happen once, and ended up shearing the pin off....
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Check that the pin isn't messed up on the cam... Had that happen once, and ended up shearing the pin off....
    hmmm.....I'll see what the shop says today and check into that also. thanks for the input.

*ps Saw your sig. get another Miata....bikes are bad...just had another friend almost kill himself on one.

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    hmmm.....I'll see what the shop says today and check into that also. thanks for the input.

*ps Saw your sig. get another Miata....bikes are bad...just had another friend almost kill himself on one.
    Yea, well aware of that risk, a bike is just very appealing to me, for a few reasons (none of them being high speed, stunting, etc...).
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Yea, well aware of that risk, a bike is just very appealing to me, for a few reasons (none of them being high speed, stunting, etc...).
    Adam,

Please don't take this in a negative way but with your track record of bad luck, please stick to four wheels! We like you and want to keep you around for a few more years!

BTW, I'd love a motorcycle but aside from my wife nixing the idea, I don't know if I could trust myself or those lunatic Texas drivers.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I don't know if I could trust myself or those lunatic Texas drivers.
    I rode a bike for years up until a few years ago. The acceleration of a motorcycle can be addicting. The weight/horsepower ratio rivals most anything on 4 wheels. You may go a lifetime and never have an incident. All it takes is 1 not-paying-attention-cell-phone-talking-asshole to possibly ruin your life. If you do get a bike, get the most and best quality riding gear you can and wear it! If you don't think you need a helmet, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I rode a bike for years up until a few years ago. The acceleration of a motorcycle can be addicting. The weight/horsepower ratio rivals most anything on 4 wheels. You may go a lifetime and never have an incident. All it takes is 1 not-paying-attention-cell-phone-talking-asshole to possibly ruin your life. If you do get a bike, get the most and best quality riding gear you can and wear it! If you don't think you need a helmet, you're probably right.
    That's what is keeping me from getting one right now, Texas drivers. If I do get one, that means that I am moving soon after And I definitely agree on the gear; my gear will probably cost nearly as much as my first bike, if not more.

And thanks William for your concern; I have been taking family/friends' views on the situation into account while trying to decide what to do.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge