Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help buying an NA

Default Help buying an NA

Hey guys, I'm down in San Marcos. I'm planning on purchasing an NA in the next few weeks and I was wondering if you guys had any tips. Like things I should I look out for that might be wrong with the car at that age or even how much would be a reasonable a price range for that car. I will likely be getting one from 94-97 although I might go into 90-93 range depending on what I find. This car will be my daily driver. Any suggestions you guys have would be great. Thanks.

Linke

Good luck!
    Gabriel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Buy the cleanest, lowest mileage one you can afford. Personally I stay away from ones that are 'riced out' and/or look ragged out. If the outside is nasty chances are it hasn't been maintained. Good luck and keep us posted on your search and candidates.

Blog Entries

It's all covered in the above link; but, I'd like to emphasize that you carfax it before purchase. If you don't get the VIN before looking at the vehicle, but feel like it's a good deal, don't be in a hurry to drive away with it that very moment. Give the owner a handshake and a deposit check stating that you'll be back tomorrow with the cashier's check or cash. Take the VIN # (that you should have grabbed while inspecting it) and check the history against what the owner tells you. Don't cheap-out on a $14-30 report. It's important to be informed.

Regards.

Link has some great information!

Personally the first thing I always look for is the VIN stickers if they are gone panel has had some sort of work.

I don't put 100% confidence in CARFAX every report has the following disclaimer:
    CARFAX Disclaimer:
    "CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®"

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Link has some great information!

Personally the first thing I always look for is the VIN stickers if they are gone panel has had some sort of work.

I don't put 100% confidence in CARFAX every report has the following disclaimer:
    This is true. Only use CARFAX as a starting point. In a recent issue of the Consumer Report, it says some reports missed some serious repairs on some of the cars. If it is a turbo car, open the hood and make it does has one. Someone here bought a turbo car. When he got home he could not find the turbo under the hood!
    Gabriel

can I ask what your price range is and would you consider an nb?

I just picked up a mint 99 on craigslist, new tires, garage stored, 62k miles, loaded for 6200 with a toneu and rear boot
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...miata/don3.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...miata/don1.jpg
    99 miata 62k miles, only mod is tenzo rs-5 17 inch wheels, and black robbins top

Quote Originally Posted by the_don View Post
    can I ask what your price range is and would you consider an nb?

I just picked up a mint 99 on craigslist, new tires, garage stored, 62k miles, loaded for 6200 with a toneu and rear boot
    You are selling already? Want to go back to Honda?
    Gabriel

My price range is somewhere between 4-6k. I have actually been considering a 99 instead of an NA if I could find one for a reasonable price. Everything I've seen down here is overpriced though.

if this is as nice as advertised, a plane ticket to Orlando is cheap

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1204480027.html
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

I wonder it has ABS. I will fly down there if it has ABS. The Price Is Right!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    You are selling already? Want to go back to Honda?
    no he still has the add up... this car is much nicer than my honda
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...miata/don3.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...miata/don1.jpg
    99 miata 62k miles, only mod is tenzo rs-5 17 inch wheels, and black robbins top

Chassis Designer

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1207887041.html

I called this guy up to see if he would part off his rollbar, but it's not the one I want. He's real knowledgeable, car seemed to be taken care of from what he was talking about. He just has too many projects. I think he has a lot of pics that he didn't post yet. I would email him and see.
    '95R

That seems nice, but I cant really drive to OK for a car. Unless it was a much better deal.

Chassis Designer

Ahh, San Marcos. He told me he was willing to meet half way if need be. Depending on the condition of the paint, '94 OBD1 is the best year you can get.
    '95R

I went ahead and called him. He's gonna send me some pics but I'm still not show sure. Needs carpet and a fair amount of interior work it sounds like. We'll see when I get the pictures.

I found a 97 Montego Blue on CraigsList. He's asking $5600.

Here's the ad: http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1207067730.html

Seems a little high, but it looks nice. What do you guys think?

I just bought a '93 with everything, including a hard top, for $6500 and it had less than 20,000 miles. I sold my pristine and loaded (CC, AM-FM-CD/CASS. AC, PW, PB, PS, ABS, etc) with 112,000 miles for $3,000. But it took me a while to find the '93 and I had to drive 125 miles to get it. The one you're looking at doesn't even have a CD and the windows are roll up. I'm thinking you can do better if you're patient.

Quote Originally Posted by popopo View Post
    Ahh, San Marcos. He told me he was willing to meet half way if need be. Depending on the condition of the paint, '94 OBD1 is the best year you can get.
    I would agree with this as well, everything else being equal.

What are you ultimate goals? Track driving, AutoX, Devil's Backbone running? Turbo, Turbo, or keep it NA?

The main accessory I would call a must have if you want it is ABS. You can put a Limited Slip on an open dif for the right amount of money (cheaper to buy a 94+ with one though).

If you can get a Hardtop with the car for under $1,000 extra, that's a pretty good deal as well.

I'm in South Austin ~20 minutes from San Marcos. If you need some help or just want a second set of eyes let me know. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number and email.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast