Thread: Leaving this heat behind!

Default Leaving this heat behind!

I'm hitting the road in the morning, bound for northern New Mexico - where it's a little cooler than it is here. Aaaaaaaahhhhh...

I'll see y'all in two weeks...

Weather Comparison:
    Dallas, TX
    vs.
    Red River, NM
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Have fun, be safe, take lotsa pictures!

I'll be heading that way after the 4th, going just a little south of Albequrke
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Chassis Designer

Whatcha doing in Red River? I went snowboarding there in Jan. Awesome place! I guess you're going hiking then?
    '95R

Don't drink the water!

I go every other year for my dad's family reunion (we've been going there since '83). It's an awesome place in the summer! We go hiking and rafting, and ride the ski lift up and down the mountain.

And the weather's nice, too...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Default No pics, but a couple of notes...

After leaving Wichita Falls, I stopped for gas in Vernon (it ain't much, trust me). The temp Saturday afternoon was 111 degrees. By the time I got to Amarillo, a full-on monsoon had set in and the temp had dropped all the way down to 68. Saturday night I had a chili-cheeseburger at the Coyote Bluff Cafe. I shit you not when I say it was so good that it's worth a trip to Amarillo to check it out. It's a tiny little shit-hole of a joint south of town, where they serve cold longnecks out of a cast iron bathtub in the middle of the place, a cougar and a cub wait tables, and the owner sweats his ass off at the grill. Very, very good grub... and while you're there, you can check out Cadillac Ranch, Pantex (with a background check), and the National Quarter Horse Association!

Here in Santa Fe there's a similarly sleazy burger joint called the Bobcat Bite. Their specialty is a 10-oz (!) green-chile cheeseburger that comes out so juicy that the bottom bun is automatically ruined. Needless to say, it's pretty awesome. However, in spite of the fact that this is Santa Fe, where all the food is top notch chi-chi goumet, the Bobcat burger just couldn't quite go toe-to-toe with the ol' redneck Coyote burger from Amarillo. But like I said, both places are VERY similar - both hold about 25 customers, neither one takes credit cards, and they're both in crappy little crackerbox buildings that would bring down a Royce City trailer park.

Four thumbs up (two for each).
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Wished I were there.

Pick me up some blue cornmeal, some Cibolo Junction Southwest chicken soup mix, and Cibolo Junction Green Chille stew mix. J/K, but you gotta try their food.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Man, this makes me want a vacation.

The good news is that at my new job, it looks like I'll actually be able to have one! 9 months working there and I already have over 100 hours of vacation time!!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Nice! Thursday I'll be headed to Gunnison, Colorado for two weeks. These 100+ degree summers are not my cup o' tea.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Man, this makes me want a vacation.

The good news is that at my new job, it looks like I'll actually be able to have one! 9 months working there and I already have over 100 hours of vacation time!!
    I get exactly 80 hours per year. I won't be eligible for more until I've worked in my current office for 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    I'll be heading that way after the 4th, going just a little south of Albequrke
    So you really will be taking that left turn at Albuquerque, eh?
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrMax View Post
    I get exactly 80 hours per year. I won't be eligible for more until I've worked in my current office for 7 years.
    Heh... I worked for WalMart for 1.6 years and was never notified until I quit that I had a week of vacation.

Then I worked for Grapevine Mills security (contract) for 1 year, then we changed companies and weren't allowed to use our accrued vacation (at least they paid us). I worked for the second company for half a year and quit without any vacation. Then I worked for FedEx for about 6 months and didn't get any vacation.

Now I got this job. I think I deserve the time off
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata