Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Park???

Default Lone Star Park???

Ok who runs events here? I looked on hte rev it up site and a satalite photo and someone has had events there. There are tire tracks in the south lot. Looks like a nice big lot.

Why doesn't TX region run here? ER? Does anyone? I would love to run my miata there instead of a dang cobalt :-\
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Zoom zoom live was last year, and I think rev it ups in the past also. From what I hear it is very expensive to run there. That is why texas region doesnt.

The local BMWCCA autocross committee was scouring DFW for possible autocross venues over the winter. That was an extremely expensive lot to run in. If I remember correctly, maybe twice as much as TMS (which is already way more expensive than MW).
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    If I remember correctly, maybe twice as much as TMS (which is already way more expensive than MW).
    Yikes!

The local BMWCCA autocross committee was scouring DFW for possible autocross venues over the winter. That was an extremely expensive lot to run in. If I remember correctly, maybe twice as much as TMS (which is already way more expensive than MW).
    Granted I don't know anything about what has actually taken place in trying to get the lot, but I am going to take a wild guess.... I bet someone called over there and got bounced around a few times until someone said XXXX Dollars. Being much more than what other places charge, the discussion stopped there.

Being a big business that deals in big money events, I would imagine that Lone Star would be a lot more responsive and open to negotiating if they were presented with a formal organized offer from a group of clubs for a group of events. Just a hunch, but I suspect a huge discount could be had if 3 or 4 groups got together and made a pitch to Lone Star where each group would commit to 3 or 4 events for a set price. Big companies will often have the mentality that it is not worth selling you 1 $1000 widget, but when you offer to buy a case of a dozen widgets you get there attention. The number has to get to a place where it has some effect on the bottom line.

It's just a hunch. My hunches are usually way off, so take it for what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Granted I don't know anything about what has actually taken place in trying to get the lot, but I am going to take a wild guess.... I bet someone called over there and got bounced around a few times until someone said XXXX Dollars. Being much more than what other places charge, the discussion stopped there.

It's just a hunch. My hunches are usually way off, so take it for what you want.
    I'd bet you are wrong.

I'd think SoloRX7 or General Default may have more insight into the process of securing an AX venue bet they could enlighten us!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I'd bet you are wrong.
    Probably a good bet!

I'd bet you are wrong.
    Ill put five on that.

BTW, here is something I dug up off the harddrive. I don't even remember where I found it, might have been here.

The only different venue that BMWCCA could come up with that we don't regularly autox on is Grayson Airport.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Actually titus, the big problem with Lone Star Park is that they routinely hold "Arrive & Drive" programs from major auto manufacturers. These programs don't blink at a $4000 lot rental fee, since it's just a blip in a multi-million dollar advertising program.

Unfortunately, Lone Star is used to getting outrageous amounts without any hesitation from these manufacturers, so they aren't interested in renting us the lot at a more "reasonable" price.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Actually titus, the big problem with Lone Star Park is that they routinely hold "Arrive & Drive" programs from major auto manufacturers. These programs don't blink at a $4000 lot rental fee, since it's just a blip in a multi-million dollar advertising program.

Unfortunately, Lone Star is used to getting outrageous amounts without any hesitation from these manufacturers, so they aren't interested in renting us the lot at a more "reasonable" price.
    I can see that...

It is probably un-realistic, but what about a mega-event that combined several clubs? Zoom Zoom Live had 4 tracks going at once, so you would think that some sort of mega event could be possible. It just seems like such a shame to see such a nice piece of centrally located pavement go to waste.

I'd love to see a joint event Or how bout this.....

150 entrants @ $40 each is $6000. That would be a little better than break even event for SCCA when you take into account fees.

Something we have explored is a package deal. Like you said if you got 2 clubs in on a 6 weekend deal maybe you could get it for $4000 or so? Look for event sponsors due to the central location.....it might be possible?
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

...maybe twice as much as TMS (which is already way more expensive than MW).
    I think parking downtown is more expensive than MW.

Isn't it pretty much the same folks going to the different club events??

Seem as if we all tend to turn up at the same parking lots on any given Saturday or Sunday.

Isn't it pretty much the same folks going to the different club events??

Seem as if we all tend to turn up at the same parking lots on any given Saturday or Sunday.
    It seems that it isn't that uncommon for more than one event to happen on the same day (At least I think I remember seeing that a few times), and it also seems that different guys tend to have different favorites. It seems like some guys focus on SCCA as there top priority, others S2K, and for others BMW, PCA, or ER is their top priority. In addition, there seem to be people that choose events based on location. I for one attended Zoom Zoom in part because it was pretty close. I bet a joint venture at Lone Star would draw pretty well.

Now if you want a real problem with my idea, try figuring out how to class the event!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Now if you want a real problem with my idea, try figuring out how to class the event!
    Since they are the national org., SCCA hosts and everybody else comes to play.
    The real problems IMHO:
    • not sure $40 x 150 would cover all the cost
    • first event at a new venue is always rocky
    • and NOBODY I know is going to pay $40 for a one day event
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

You'd be supprised.

10 years ago entry fees were $15. THen it went up to $20 and people said thats too high, then $25, now non-members get charged $30. And if they register at the site it's $30 for members and $35 for non-members.

My point being is entry fees are relative.......some are higher and lower. In most regions around thr country the entry fee it based on the site rental fee. Lots of clubs charge $35-40 for one day events.

Ironically, at a new site people will come to run it just because it's different. It's a new and improved kinda thing so everyone wants to try it. It's cheeper to pay $40 to run at Lone Star park than $25 at MW. HOW you ask? Gas prices my friend. When I lived in Arlington it was a little over an houe each way. And now with 93 being over $3 per gallon.....you have about $12-15 in gas to get to MW depending on whether or not you have a tire trailer or not.

Plus Mineral Wells is hard on tires, while this place may not be (maybe Bus lot wear?)......so there are a lot of factors to consider besides the $40 entry fee.

How many people come to the TMS road course events? over 200 every time. I assume this event would be the same and with 200 people you could charge $30. And cmon $5 is a small price to pay for a nice lot.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX

Go ahead and set something up David it sounds like fun!

Ya know a site that will soon have little to no activity soon will be Texas Stadium (if they don't tear it down).

Go ahead and set something up David it sounds like fun!

Ya know a site that will soon have little to no activity soon will be Texas Stadium (if they don't tear it down).
    I look at that lot everytime I go past it. I'm not sure how good it would be. It shouldn't be too bad if our course designers do a good job dealing with light poles and stuff.

I'm always checking out the new lot at Mansfield Highschools new $23 million stadium. Not too many light poles there, and should be done by fall.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I'm always checking out the new lot at Mansfield Highschools new $23 million stadium. Not too many light poles there, and should be done by fall.
    Ya wonder if they designed the lot to be used for driving events like was done for Pennington Field.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer
    How many people come to the TMS road course events? over 200 every time. I assume this event would be the same and with 200 people you could charge $30. And cmon $5 is a small price to pay for a nice lot.
    Last years biggest event for SCCA was 167 entrant (Event #5). Average over all 9 events was 133 entrants.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 06-15-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast