Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight upgrades...

Default Headlight upgrades...

After poking around on the net for hours on end looking for parts and generally wasting lots of time, I've started thinking about headlight conversions...:

Numero Uno - the "low-profile" pop-up...

...Numero Dos - the "glassed in" fixed lights... imagine if the pop-ups above were frenched in behind glass - johnwag has a set, I believe

...y Numero Tres - replacing the stock sealed beams with Euro-spec halogen bulbs and reflectors - I go back and forth on whether or not I want to keep the stock look up front... and this would at least provide a lot better lighting (my lights SUCK right now)

So... questions...

What might either of the first two setups set me back? I've seen anywhere from $200-1,000++ (seriously), but if I decide to pull the trigger on something like that, I'd want something that would last. Besides that, how is the night vision with AAC fixed light conversion?

If I decide to upgrade the lights in the stock pop-up, does anyone have any recommendations? Since this is likely the cheapest upgrade, I may try to do something before my Big Road Trip next week - I'll probably be doing a decent amount of night driving in the middle of BFE, so it'd be nice to at least put a face with with the name of the deer I might centerpunch at 70mph...

Anyhow... I'm open to any/all suggestions here.

Thanks!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

There have been many options available in the past. This is a list of items readily available.

Option Numero Uno

Moss Dual Headlamp System (Also known as lo-pros)
    $490 + S&H

As far as cosmetic changes, this system is considered to be the best performing system out there. I know of know complaints regarding light output. They are a copy of the original KG Works Dual Headlamp System
    which is very pricey because it is a JDM product.

Option Numero Dos

AAC Flush Mount headlights
    $590 + S&H

This system looks great. The carbon fiber buckets are beautiful and it uses the same lamps as the Moss kit. A lot of research was put into making this a high quality kit as previous kits were sub par. The light output is not as good as the pop-ups because the lights, being tucked in, do not illuminate to the side.

Option Numero Tres

E-Codes

The fancy ones are available from Hella and Cibie
    Expect to spend about $80.00 + S&H

This is the most common upgrade as it's the least expensive and comparable to the high output of the Moss kit. However you still have the large barn doors.

Come out to a Wednesday night meet and there are all three kits usually available for you to check out. Titus has the Moss, John Wagliardo has the AAC, and I have some e-codes.

If you are willing to wait a few weeks, I'm replacing my e-codes and I'll be selling them. My e-codes are a generic lens but just as good IMHO as the Hellas, Cibies I've seen.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The E-codes are much better than stock and the flush mount kit, but I don't think they would illuminate better than the Moss low-pro kit due to the wonderful projector housings and bulbs.

If you go with the dual headlamp low-pro kit, the Moss is the best deal. The "original" KG Works kit is overpriced and the other kits near the Moss price are inferior. Probably the best mod I've done to my car...until I go FI one day!

The flush mount kit that JohnWag has is very nice but, like blackroadster mentioned, doesn't illuminate to the side very well. I'm sure you'll see at the Wed meet but having the Moss kit makes the illumination on my car as well as any new high end vehicle without HID's, in which you can install into the Hella projectors in the Moss kit or flush mount kit btw.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

i've been wanting to buy this ones for low beams... http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A1333A0A0.aspx and make something similar to the aac...
    I've heard of someone using projector fog lamps for highbeams... must be nice if i could make them but right now i'm focusing on power...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    If you are willing to wait a few weeks, I'm replacing my e-codes and I'll be selling them. My e-codes are a generic lens but just as good IMHO as the Hellas, Cibies I've seen.
    If he don't want 'em I may be interested, snoogywoogums
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post

I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Come out to a Wednesday night meet and there are all three kits usually available for you to check out. Titus has the Moss, John Wagliardo has the AAC, and I have some e-codes.
    Cool! I'll try and make it out this week... sounds like the Moss and AAC kits are cost-prohibitive for me right now. I'd be inclined to go with option 3 for now, and upgrade to something else on down the road... gotta save up for that blower!

Might just do that. I leave a week from today on my big trip, so I can adjust the lights and throw in a couple of new sealed beams in the meantime. So, besides your E-Codes, is any of this stuff available locally?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post

I am not sitting next to you on Wednesday.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Cool! I'll try and make it out this week... sounds like the Moss and AAC kits are cost-prohibitive for me right now. I'd be inclined to go with option 3 for now, and upgrade to something else on down the road... gotta save up for that blower!

Might just do that. I leave a week from today on my big trip, so I can adjust the lights and throw in a couple of new sealed beams in the meantime. So, besides your E-Codes, is any of this stuff available locally?
    I don't know of any locally.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    The flush mount kit that JohnWag has is very nice but, like blackroadster mentioned, doesn't illuminate to the side very well. I'm sure you'll see at the Wed meet but having the Moss kit makes the illumination on my car as well as any new high end vehicle without HID's, in which you can install into the Hella projectors in the Moss kit or flush mount kit btw.
    This is true. The AAC kit is awesome looking, but the carbon buckets aren't symmetrical from side to side and the driver's side bucket doesn't fit perfect. When you adjust the lights to shine similar to stock barn doors, they run into the carbon buckets. Also, when it rains, it's almost as if they aren't even on.

When I go out on back roads that are poorly lit, the headlights are very bright.
    So.....they are really more about show than function.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    This is true. The AAC kit is awesome looking, but the carbon buckets aren't symmetrical from side to side and the driver's side bucket doesn't fit perfect. When you adjust the lights to shine similar to stock barn doors, they run into the carbon buckets. Also, when it rains, it's almost as if they aren't even on.

When I go out on back roads that are poorly lit, the headlights are very bright.
    So.....they are really more about show than function.
    I see... my #1 goal is better lighting, and cost is an object for right now. Be that as it may, I'll still try and make it out on Wednesday to see what's what in person. Thanks!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I'll still try and make it out on Wednesday to see what's what in person. Thanks!
    Better make sure Titus is planning on being there as he is the only one currently with them. Actually, Gary (Trackdog) has them but his car has BURitus.
    ...and across the line.

I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Better make sure Titus is planning on being there as he is the only one currently with them. Actually, Gary (Trackdog) has them but his car has BURitus.
    I will be there...
    And I hear Gary's is home, yellow, and slowly coming back together.

Default Speaking of "where"...

Where (and when) is the Wednesday night meet? I'm a relative newbie so I'm still catching on here...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Where you been man? I've had mine going on 2 yrs! Not like you haven't seen my car either, we've meet up to trade parts a couple times!

*oh yeah, I'm gonna try to make it out tomorrow or next week to the meet.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Where you been man? I've had mine going on 2 yrs! Not like you haven't seen my car either, we've meet up to trade parts a couple times!
    I suspect he referred to I am the only one with low pros that consistently comes out on Wednesdays.
    *oh yeah, I'm gonna try to make it out tomorrow or next week to the meet.
    Cool... it will be nice to finally meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I suspect he referred to I am the only one with low pros that consistently comes out on Wednesdays.

Cool... it will be nice to finally meet you!
    Ah, I see then. Cool, same to you! I've seen your car, beautiful I must say, at Gary's a while back but don't believe I've actually meet you before. Of course Mr. Hockey here must meet people a few times usually before remembering!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    What he said.
    ...and across the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast