Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about springs...

Default Question about springs...

I know I've already done this bass-ackwards, but shortly after I bought the car, I replaced the worn-out shocks with stock units. I was a newbie and didn't really know better, and I just needed the thing fixed (the ass end was prone to hopping off the ground on occasion). Anyhow, NOW I'd like to invest in a set of springs. So I'm wondering if there is anything out there that works well with stock shocks (Racing Beat claims theirs do, and the spring rates don't look too abusive), or should I just bite it and pony up for a whole new set of coilovers? This car is a daily driver that will see some long distance trips, with maybe an auto-x thrown in there once in a while... and there will be a blower under the hood before the end of the year.

Muchas Gracias in advance for any input!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Tein s-techs work well. They are slightly stiffer than stock, but not too stiff for factory style shocks. Eibachs should get along with your shocks, too.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

tein s tech
    Ride height drop, front -0.9 rear - 1.2
    spring rate, Front 235, rear 173

I was thinking of throwing these on my car just to hold me over for some time until i can save enough up for the tein flex kit. From what i've read on miata.net they are a pretty good set of springs.

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    Tein s-techs work well. They are slightly stiffer than stock, but not too stiff for factory style shocks. Eibachs should get along with your shocks, too.
    Werd... stiffer than stock but still a very smooth (and sane) ride. I have them on my 92 and am wondering why I didn't get them earlier
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I have had them on the MSM for a while now and like them a lot. They did ok at Hallett, but I am saving for the flex
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    stiffer than stock but still a very smooth (and sane) ride.
    That's what she said...
    Last edited by tailchaser; 04-04-2007 at 02:50 PM.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Gosh darnit, you got me on that one.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I frikkin' love that show!!

Banned

Check into the SPAX coilovers from Goodwing Racing. Have had these on for about 5 months now, and love 'em. The beauty is that they can be dialed in for personal preference really quickly and the cost is a fraction of any coilover system out there. Not too many knew of them when I got 'em, and so I knew nothing of them. But I'd buy 'em again and again. Along with my Hoosier A6's, I have picked up around 5 seconds on my times in Autocrossing, putting me up there with the big boys. For the last SCCA and ER event, I was the fastest Miata out there. But, still just a suggestion.

Banned

I can't spell. That's Goodwin Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I can't spell. That's Goodwin Racing
    So edit your first post... Makes ya look like less of a dumbass!
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    ...NOW I'd like to invest in a set of springs. So I'm wondering if there is anything out there that works well with stock shocks (Racing Beat claims theirs do, and the spring rates don't look too abusive), or should I just bite it and pony up for a whole new set of coilovers? This car is a daily driver that will see some long distance trips, with maybe an auto-x thrown in there once in a while...
    Get a ride in some cars & see what you think. Stick with NAs, if you can, as the NBs have more rear suspension travel, which can make a big difference.

I have Ground Control coilovers (375/250 rates) with AGXs. The car could use better shocks, but I'm cheap and found a great deal on these, lightly used. It's much firmer than stock, but reasonably well controlled - a billion times better than 80k mile factory shocks/springs. I also went with the Fat Cat bumpstops - a worthy addition, even with stock springs & shocks.

If you're looking for a handling boost, stock springs/decent shocks/bigger sways will help with little penalty in ride comfort.

If you want to lower the car much, you'll need stiffer springs to keep it off the bumpstops - which means the OE shocks aren't likely to be sufficient. BTW, used early NA rear springs can help get rid of the huge gap between the rear tires and the fenders very cheaply - but the car won't look "lowered". Most of the aftermarket lowering springs aren't stiff enough for how much they drop the car. S-techs *may* work, but otherwise, I'd look into coilovers. YMMV
    '96 M-edition

I also have the Ground Control coilovers with AGX 8-Way adjustable shocks.

I added the FM rear shock mounts for increased suspension travel as I was hitting the OEM bumpstops with my car lowered. The FM Shockhats resolved this completely and I never hit the bumpstops.

Overall, my car handles well and I didn't see a huge difference in street driving from my setup vs. Jonwag's TEINs. Dunno about the track but again, I'm pretty pleased with how my car performs on the track as well.

I got a great deal on my setup but if I had to pay retail, I would save up a few more and get some TEIN coilovers.

It depends really on your expectations.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I'm pretty pleased with how my car performs on the track as well.
    ..........what about off to the side????
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

All good info so far... here's what I'd like to get out of an upgrade:

1. lower the car and take up the tire/wheel lip gap (I'm guessing about 1-1.5" drop would be about right)

2. tighten the ride and handling up a little - sometimes the car can feel a little floaty (this is probably the shocks more than anything)

3. I don't really need adjustability at this point, I'd just like a good compromise setup - the ride could stand to be firmer, but I don't want to beat myself up

Anyhow, I'm going to start hunting around and will probably buy something in the next month or so... looks like I may pop for springs and shocks now.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

the ride could stand to be firmer
    That's what she said...

All good info so far... here's what I'd like to get out of an upgrade:

1. lower the car and take up the tire/wheel lip gap (I'm guessing about 1-1.5" drop would be about right)

2. tighten the ride and handling up a little - sometimes the car can feel a little floaty (this is probably the shocks more than anything)

3. I don't really need adjustability at this point, I'd just like a good compromise setup - the ride could stand to be firmer, but I don't want to beat myself up

Anyhow, I'm going to start hunting around and will probably buy something in the next month or so... looks like I may pop for springs and shocks now.

Sounds like exactly what I had in mind for my '96... I needed shocks, wanted to upgrade the handling a little, wanted to get rid of at least some of the gap, and didn't want to spend a ton of money. I was considering 2 options when I found the deal on my Ground Controls:

1) Cheapest: Used early NA springs, new KYB AGX 8-way adjustables, FCM bumpstops. Then (probably later) upgrade to larger sways to help with the body roll.

2) Slightly more $$: Tein S-techs, new KYB AGXs, FCM bumpstops. Maybe later with the sways, depending on the results from the S-techs.

I came across a set of coilovers with the shocks with under 10k miles on them for just a little more than new shocks, couldn't pass it up. Another option to watch for a set of MSM springs and shocks - several sets of those have come up for sale as folks go coilover. Stiffer springs, Bilsteins, NB mounts - decent setup and a quick swap if you find it.

Craig
    '96 M-edition

I am happy with the FM second gen springs and AGXs. Its about 1/2" drop and the tires fill the wheel well nicely. I have pics online somewhere just need to find them.

EDIT: Found the thread. http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...ghlight=spring
    Last edited by HudsonHawk; 04-05-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I am happy with the FM second gen springs and AGXs. Its about 1/2" drop and the tires fill the wheel well nicely. I have pics online somewhere just need to find them.

EDIT: Found the thread. http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...ghlight=spring
    Another nice choice - slightly more $$ than my option 2 above...
    '96 M-edition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast