Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shifty Bass Turd

Default Shifty Bass Turd

I've noticed this winter on cold mornings when I back the POSIV out of the garage and attempt to put it in first and it just does not want to go into first......

Is it just my Miata doesn't like the cold? Would a better gear oil make it happier?

I have Mobil One Gear Oil in it now.

Once it is warmed up it shifts great with no issues.

I think it's just the cold.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think it's the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I think it's the driver.

Mine is a tighter shift into and out of first as well as second in the cold, but is fine after that. It also doesn't give me a lot of trouble with reverse or the higher gears once it's moving, and of course, once it warms up.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

+1 I have the same issue until it has warmed up. I did not have this problem in the 1990.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I had cold-weather shift problems when I first got my car. It was so bad that I to double-clutch between 1st and 2nd (both ways). A change to the wildly expensive Motorcraft Full Synthetic gear oil made it all better.

Of course, the crap I drained out of the transmission didn't look too tasty.

YMMV, etc etc etc...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Same issue here I just leave 15 min early anw wait for it to warm up :P then im off

The best solution is to move to a warmer climate.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

A better solution would be to travel back in time and give yourself a sports almanac to allow you to win lots of money gambling. You could not only buy a new transmission that would work fine in cold weather, but you could also transform NE Tarrant County into a gambling palace with you as king. Then, when your butt-head step son comes asking questions you could trick him into traveling back to the old west to try to foil your plans before anything was changed. If you were really smart, you'd send him back with his suspenders off his shoulders, his pants half-way down his body or with some kind of weird facial hair treatment. Then when it catches on as fashion, you could just take credit for it and you'd be king again.

I plan to just try out a different gear oil though, because time travel is too hard.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Version3 View Post
    A better solution would be to travel back in time and give yourself a sports almanac to allow you to win lots of money gambling. You could not only buy a new transmission that would work fine in cold weather, but you could also transform NE Tarrant County into a gambling palace with you as king. Then, when your butt-head step son comes asking questions you could trick him into traveling back to the old west to try to foil your plans before anything was changed. If you were really smart, you'd send him back with his suspenders off his shoulders, his pants half-way down his body or with some kind of weird facial hair treatment. Then when it catches on as fashion, you could just take credit for it and you'd be king again.

I plan to just try out a different gear oil though, because time travel is too hard.
    Nice to see another Back to the Future fan around here.

Blog Entries

Nice to see another Back to the Future fan around here.
    THAT's why you have Uncle Rico as your avatar. You're a fan of travelling back in time and reliving the glory days! Better put some shielding on your balls before hitting the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Piff View Post
    THAT's why you have Uncle Rico as your avatar. You're a fan of travelling back in time and reliving the glory days! Better put some shielding on your balls before hitting the switch.
    Actually, I did not choose that avatar. The mods chose it for me.

Actually, I did not choose that avatar. The mods chose it for me.
    Somebody should do something about those mods... they're getting awfully heavy handed... and for some reason I get all the blame...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Somebody should do something about those mods... they're getting awfully heavy handed... and for some reason I get all the blame...
    I'd say something to them, but it would probably just result in me getting yet another infraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I'd say something to them, but it would probably just result in me getting yet another infraction.
    You make it so easy...
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I agree! I'm sick and tired of their heavy handedness.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I agree! I'm sick and tired of their heavy handedness.
    Sammm prefers a more gentle touch....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Sammm prefers a more gentle touch....
    I'm a giver.

Clearly, I've given Dave and Sam too much power... I can't even give them infractions! The horror.

BTW, Titus... Umm... You're welcome!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast